Samstag, 5. November 2011

Apple cheese cake

Reading Sissis post about her light and lovely cheese cake, I had the instant urge to bake a cheese cake too. I know my husband  and friends will eat it up happily. I may eat only a little (hopefully).
Since it is autumn and there are many apples available, I baked an apple cake. I don't have an apple tree in my garden but organic farmers market sold lot and lots of different kinds for a cheap price. You can buy a bag with 2.5 kg apples for 1 Euro. The bag contains different kinds of apples (different varieties) with minor damages - good for baking or cooking apple sauce. 
The apple farmer is specialized on old varieties. He grows 100 different types. These apples are very aromatic but not as supersized and well coloured as modern commercial types. But they taste very good.
Here we go: This is a slice of cheese cake:



Cookie dough layer:
180 g flour
100 g butter or margarine (I don't use margarine, too much trans fat, but you may)
50 g sugar
1 egg yolk
1 pinch salt
1 pinch baking powder

Topping:
500 g curd cheese (Quark)*
500 g apples wheight peeled and cored, cut into quarters, sliced. Use an very aromatic apple for baking with "melting" flesh as Bramley, Cox, Boskoop.
3 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
1 vanilla pod, scraped seeds only
150 g sugar
1/2 lemon, zestes and juice
2 tablespoons quince or apple jelly

For the dough: knead egg yolk, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter (cut into dices) quickly together.  Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes, roll out and layer in a spring form (26 cm diameter). Pinch the dough with a fork several times and bake at 180 C about 12 minutes.
Prepare apple slices and toss with lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
Meanwhile beat egg whites until stiff peeks form. Mix quark, egg yolks, lemon zestes, vanilla seeds, sugar until the batter is smooth and sugar disolved. Stir in the apple slices. Gently fold in egg whites without damaging the "snow". Fill the batter into the spring form on top of the cookie dough layer and  make the surface even while using a cake scaper.
Bake at 180 C for 1 hour.
The cake is ready when its surface is golden browned and doesn't look moist anymore.  Let sit in the oven 10 more minutes after turning of the heat. Cake will flatten a bit. It is the same with cheese soufflé - so no wonder. Afterwards glaze the surface with heated and liquid qince- or apple jelly.
Let it cool down and keep in the fridge for 1 hour before serving. Fresh and lukewarm the cake is way to soft to get cut.

 *) Other names white cheese, farmers cheese and it is not cottage cheese.  I prefer austrian style hand made curd cheese named Schichtkäse because it is more dry and firm, which is important because the apples add much juice. It is very lean too. If you only get soft and moist curd cheese, fill the cheese in a cheese cloth and hang it for a few hours. It will loose some of its moisture.
If you don't get any Quark at all, this recipe will do with double cream cheese, part of it replaced by 125 g yoghurt too.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

This cheesecake looks delicious and very original. i have never seen cheesecakes with this type of dough. The only fruit I bake sometimes with cheesecake is pear. I make a pear and cheese tart. It's one of my favourite Autumn desserts.
Old apple varieties are the best! All the new ones are supposed to be beautiful, be resistant to parasites and to keep fresh forever, the taste is secondary and the population gets used to their blandness over the years...

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have forgotten to say I think the Austrian cheese is very similar to the Russian/Polish I buy.
Very good for cakes! I totally agree!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes I think the polish or russian Quark is quite similiar to Schichtkäse. I think the only difference is the method of building the cheese. Schichtkäse is somewhat special because the cheesemaker spoones fresh cheese into different fat content layers. It is made from skimmed to fully fat milk. The fresh cheese pieces are spooned or scooped only: No stirring or centrifugation. One "brick" of schichtkäse contains 3 different layers. Some times ago I made my own quark - it is quite easy if you have kefir and rennet and a thermo-container.

Sissi hat gesagt…

The Austrian cheese sounds extraordinary with the different layers! If I ever get the chance, I'll taste it.
I also make sometimes quark on my own, I also use rennet (the best is with non-pasteurised milk, then I don't need neither kefir nor rennet...).
Actually the okara making you taught me reminds me a bit of quark making process :-)