Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011

Never make fun of others - supersized fruits

Guess what I found in my garden today: supersized quinces. I swear, I never supplied any kind of organic or chemical fertilizer to my quince tree. Qinces don't like fertilizer at all, they get sick and you will find lots of brown freckles in the fruits. In fact, I just prune the tree once in a while and that's it.

566 gramms!!!
 I just baked a quince tarte tatin - all I needed were two of these fellows and I am glad having my big chef knife. I still cannot believe it. What happened to that tree?
This is the tarte in the oven

And this is the tarte as it is:
piece of tarte
All you need is pie dough, simply made by 3:2:1 flour:butter:sugar (in my case with a teaspoon vinegar, tablespoon cold water and a pinch of salt). Amount depends on the size of your pan.

I took:
200g flour
100g butter
50g sugar
2 supersized quinces, peeled, pipped and cut into slender wedges
1 pinch cinnamon

Kneat very cold butter (cut in small cubes) with flour, sugar, water and vinegar just until butter is flaked nicely into the flour. Don't overdo the dough. Let sit in fridge about 30 min, afterwards roll dough into a thin layer (best method: roll dough between two sheets of cling film).

For caramel:
100 g butter
5 tablespoons sugar (quinces are tart)

Heat butter in a pan (ovenproof!),  add sugar and let melt until turned amber, turn off heat. Quickly apply quince wedges, sprinkle with cinnamon and cover with a layer of pie dough. Cut it to fit as lid.
Bake up to 35 minutes at 180C - until pie crust is nicely browned. Unmold by flipping it over: Place the plate over the pan and turn it upside down. Be careful and use heat protection gloves. The ticky sugary liquid from butter, sugar and juice may be spilled and it will be hot as hell. Let cool and serve.

Keine Kommentare: