Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2011

Mushroom rice with gingko nuts and lotus root

Today I found two young Coprinus comatus in my garden but I did not pick them because I want some more the next year. I hope they enjoy my garden and become a huge family.
But I used other mushrooms (brown button mushrooms and dried mushrooms out of my storage) for this dish:

sorry - doesn't look so good (brown rice and brown mushrooms)

Ingredients:
150 g japanese short grain rice
150 g brown sweet rice
about 10  dried morels (2 tablespoons)
10  dried porcini slices
200 g brown button mushrooms
8 thicker slices lotus root (halved), bought sliced and frozen
8 ginkgo nuts, bought frozen
1 1/2 tablespoon  dark soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon mirin
1 1/2 tablespoon sake
salt to taste
1/4 sheet of nori

How to:

Soak dried mushrooms in 1 /2 cup of water. Soak washed brown sweet rice (genmai) in a double amount of water for 1 1/2 hour. Afterwards strain the rice.
Meanwhile place frozen gingko nuts and lotus root slices on a plate to get room temperature.
Wash white rice in a strainer using running water until water seems to be clear. Mix both types of rice and let drain for 30 minutes.
Prepare the button mushrooms (remove stems, quarter).
Strain dried mushrooms, but keep the soaking liquid. Filter soaking liquid to remove sand and dirt particles.  Add enough water to the soaking liquid to recieve 350 ml.

Add water (with soaking liquid),  rice, mushrooms (soaked and fresh), lotus root slices, gingko nuts, sake, pinch of salt, soy sauce, mirin to a heavy pot, toss and bring to boil. Cover and let cook about 15 minutes on low heat - try the brown rice - if way too firm give it a little more cooking time and maybe a little more water. Let pot rest 10 more minutes covered with a  folded linnen cloth on top of the lid.
Toss rice gently and adjust seasoning with salt and soy sauce.

Serve with shredded nori. For shredded nori, roast 1/4 sheet in the toaster and cut it in very fine stripes.

Besides we had a little beef  (grilled teriyaki  style on a cast iron plate) with miso dipping sauce, pickled ginger stripes, quick pickled cucumbers and roman lettuce salad with mustard-soy sauce dressing too but we ate it up quickly.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Mixing hakumai (white rice) and genmai (brown rice) sounds innovative! I mean that's what some Japanese, especially health-conscious people, would do, but I personally wouldn't do so.

It's interesting to know that you let drain the rice for 30 minutes. Do you think this is a necessary step?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I don't know when and were I found the "how to cook rice in a pot" manual. But I always wash the rice and let it drain before steaming/cooking.
I think the dish would look better made with white rice only but the taste is nice. Besides: I ordered 1 kg sweet rice online and got brown sweet rice instead, now I have to use it up.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thanks for your reply.

I asked that question because I had wondered whether to drain rice after washing, as I described here:
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.com/2010/03/rice-to-drain-or-not-to-drain.html

My answer was, Don't drain.