Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011

Lean vegetable soup

It is stormy, cold and rainy, just the usual wet autumn weather. One of my cats developed a very thick winter coat, must have happened just over night. First he was a slender and gracious tiger and now there is a big hairy and fluffy ball who always likes to eat just a little snack more. Mr. Cat is a very good winter or summer forecast and he never failed. This winter will be hard and long...
This is the right time to digg in soups. My fridge told me already what to use:
1 red bell pepper, bigger stripes, cut in pieces
1 carrot, peeled, halved, sliced
2 stalks cellery, slices
1 sweet potaoe, peeled, cut in small cubes
2 turnips, peeled, halved and sliced
4 big cabbage leaves, in bigger stripes, cut in pieces
1 onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
1 knob ginger, grinded
1 small red chili, sliced
2 tablespoons lean bacon cubes
and there were a few last cherry tomatoes and a few brown button mushrooms in the kitchen and some (handful) edible chrysanthem leaves.

For seasoning:
1 package instant dashi
salt
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 big dried shiitake (powdered in an electric grinder)
a few drops worcester sauce
miso paste

I cut the vegetables in rounds, slices and cubes according their firmness.
First I roasted the bacon with carrots and cellery stalks in a dry pot - no need for additional fat, just stirring will do (me and my husband decided to cut off some of the fat intake). I added the onion and 1 minute later the quartered tomatoes and all the other vegetables but not the chrysanthem leaves. Than I added 1.5 liter of water and  a package instant dashi and powdered shiitake, chili and ginger.  I cooked the soup about 10-15 minutes: First brought to boil than simmered with a lid on, than I added the chrynthem leaves and turned of the heat after teting the cellery slices and carrots (soft enough but not mashy). I adjusted the seasoning with soy sauce and worcester sauce and let it sit a little for the flavours to develop. After 10 minutes the soup was done.
If you like miso, it is nice with just 1/2 teaspoon for each small soup cup. But it is also tasty without miso. Miso may cover the good vegetable and mushroom flavour a little too much.
soup with miso

Besides this is him, the weather oracle, having his lunch:

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for sharing your "lean" vegetable soup recipe. I don't think it's particularly "lean" by Japanese standards.

I didn't know that a cat could be a good forecaster!

And, thank you for sharing a photo of the cute BIG cat!!!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Lean means without lots of fat and carbohydrates. I think from a german point of view it is lean.