Freitag, 14. Oktober 2011

First frost

Tonight we have to face the first freezing temperatures maybe below 0 C. No problem at all but there are lots of plants in my garden which will not survive such nights. I had to take some in.
This nice plant has to live inhouse during the winter:


It is a Aji Brazilian Starfish (Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum L.). Isn't it a beautiflul chilli pepper? This is the first ripe starfish chilli of this year. There are lots of greens and orange-red fruits dangling from the branches. Starfish is hot but not too hot (scoville heat 5,000 - 30,000 ) with a fruity flavour. The shape of the fruits reminds of starfish. I hope it will survive the winter. I fostered several habanero plants for 2 up to 3 years. No need to throw the plants  away at summers end. They are perennial and like a cool, sunny and rather dry climate during wintertimes. In the house I simply place them under the skylights in the unheated attic. Sometimes I spray them with a little water to keep away spider mites.

For more information about the sizes of my chillies, I put some in relation to a 5 cent coin:
Yellow: Habanero, red: starfish, green: young and small jalapeno (we already ate the big ones)
Looking at the starfish from this angle it reminds me more of a common limpet than a starfish  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patella_vulgata

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

0 C already? It's still in the middle of automn here.

Thanks for the photo of your starfish. I first thought you were talking about a fish or something because of two words aji (horse mackerel in Japanese) and starfish.

It's like Kagura Nanban, a popular variety here:
http://uonumaya.jp/shopdetail/001001000002/order/
It is mildly hot and rugged in shape (not starfish-shaped).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Kagura Nanban - I have never seen these chilli before but no wonder, there are lots of varieties all around the world. Are they very small? Starfish are only 2 cm large (in diameter).

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Are they that small? I can't tell the size from the photo. Kagura Naban is larger, about 5-7 cm in diameter.