Donnerstag, 29. September 2011

Potatoe-Tuna-Salad and failured onsen eggs

I know, it is quite boring, salad again, but husband just likes to eat cold dishes after a warm summers day. We are still enjoying a late summer, quite a surprise and unusual warm for our area. And he is addicted to salads, so I did'nt have to ask him what he would like to eat. It was pretty obvious.
my plate

Lucky for me I had to buy 1 pound fresh green beans only.  All the other ingredients I already had in storage. I took:
4 bigger really good tasting potatoes - not too floury
handful cherry tomatoes (own harvest)
some olives
1 shallot
1 glas jar firm tuna preserved in olive oil
2 eggs
1 small tablespoon dijon mustard
1 small garlic glove, minced
a few tablespoons olive oil
smaller amount of vinegar
salt
pepper

How to:
First cook the potatoes and peel them afterwards.
Cut potatoes in thicker slices and quarters. Let cool down a bit.
Boil the beans (about 3 minutes) in salted water and drop them in icecold water afterwards to prevent further cooking.
Wrapp the eggs in 3 sheets of kitchen paper each and rinse the wrapped eggs in cold water to soak the paper. Put the wrapped eggs in a pot with hot water (first I boiled the water, than I turned off the heat).
Layer a plate on top of the eggs to keep the paper from swimming away and close the pot with a lid. Unfortunatly I let them sit about 25 minutes - I planned on 15 minutes only: to late, too long - the phone rang...
Peel the eggs.
Slice the shallot by a mandoline or knife.
Crumble tuna in bit sized pieces.
Cut the tomatoes in halves.
Last thing to do: Assemble the dressing.
Put everything in a salad bowl and toss lightly.
just before tossing

Do with the eggs whatever: one porched egg for one person placed on the salad was planned. The eggyolk was too firm, I cut it in quarters and tossed it with the other ingredients. (I peeled off the the egg whites, still too slimy for H.s taste)
Yeah, I was a little piss** about the result of the egg cooking. It was the first time I tried this method.
Wanted to produce something called onsen egg 温泉卵 (First two kanjis: Onsen, hot spring, bath; third kanji: tamago = egg. I am still a completely idiot on kanjis - why does the symbol for egg doesn't include strokes for tori / bird - who knows. I  will always fail in this area).
Onsen eggs are traditionally cooked in hot springs. The hot water has to stay at a temperature about 65C (- not higher) for 1 hour. Maybe the water was still too hot. Next time I am going to use a thermometer and keep an eye on the time.
Now this is a method which seems to be more appropriate concerning porching eggs japanese style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuJpBFBcBg&feature=related

1 Kommentar:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

>about 65C (- not higher) for 1 hour

I wonder where you got this recipe.
Many recipes say 65 to 70 C for 30 minutes.

That being said, I must admit never having made decent onsen tamago. I hate runner eggs except in some specific dishes like katsudon.