Samstag, 17. September 2011

Give salmon a second chance

We did not manage to eat the whole amount of grilled salmon yesterday. Today I made some very easy sushi* rolls and inside out rolls filled with left over salmon:
leftover salmon wrapped in sushi rice
I cooked 1 cup sushi rice and spiced it with sugar, mirin and vinegar. Cut 1/2 small sweet red bellpepper in smallish cubes, 1 small scallion in very fine slices and mixed the vegetables together with a tablespoon black sesame into the rice.
Placed 1/2 of the rice on a nori sheet, topped it with a line of salmon and a little horseradish-mayonnaise (2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon grated horseradish) on top of the fish and rolled it up.

For the second roll I placed the rice on a cling film sheet, followed by a line of salmon with mayonnaise topping and covered it with a nori sheet and rolled it up. Afterwards I rolled it in white sesame.

My knife did not do the job very well. Has to be sharpened - tomorrow someone has something to do about it.

*) this is not what you get when ordering sushi but it looks alike - I have no better name.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I love home-made sushi maki and often make it. They usually taste so much better than the ones from the shop! I also have always problems with cutting the rolls...

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Cutting the rolls is easier if your knife is wet, big, heavy and sharp enough. People often tell me that homemade rolls are the best. I wonder why? Maybe because we adjust the seasoning to our local/european tastes. They once made a test in TV: professional Sushi cooks vs. amateurs who were trained in a few hours. The amateurs won the competition. There sushi rolls were not in perfect shape but the taste was somehow better.