Dienstag, 27. September 2011

Geek food?

I think I am quite open to new food and I like to try out many different ingredients and recipes, it is fun, it is surprising, or even delicious.

And I have been travelling to many countries and sometimes I didn't even know what was this on my plate and learned afterwards, e.g bullfrog ragout in china and certain parts from male animals... But I must say there is a limit. I will not (never ever) eat this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkpicturegalleries/8791970/Edible-insect-ideas.html?image=8

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Like I said many times in my blog, my father comes from Shinshu (Nagano), and the people of Shinshu are known for being akujiki (悪食), meaning that they eat usual foods.
This video shows some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHgc2NYcfSA
locusts, silkworm pupae, bee larvae, and zazamushi (generic term for acquatic insect larvae).

In days of old, the people of Shinshu had these food as valuable sources of protein.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Guess it is a question of culture. If you learned to eat it during childhood you are fine with it. During bad times (war) people ate a lot of cats (german pan: roof rabbit) but most of them would not eat cats again. My son is fine with eating waterbeetles, worms, grashoppers too. Don't know why but he eats everything but pigfaces and asparagus.

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, you are completely right. Everything is cultural. I am crazy for black pudding (blood sausage), sometimes I want it so much I cannot go without it from my butcher. I also love well cooked and very hot tripe. I am a big fan of oysters, snails... but insects would be difficult. Your son's food habits' description made my laugh :-)
Hiroyuki, I didn't know this side of the Japanese cuisine!