Sonntag, 25. September 2011

Bread made from spelt and beer baked in a cast iron pot

I was eager to check the recipe I found in a printed version of the food magazine essen&trinken
It was a special edition on classical rural area recipes:  Crusty bread made from spelt, a little yeast, water, beer, vinegar. The dough needs 18 hours to develop. Afterwards the bread will be baken in a cast iron pot.
 
First I mixed the flour, instant yeast, water, beer and vinegar in my kitchen machine bowl. I  let it run for 3 minutes. The article describes the dough as nearly liquid but it was not that liquid at all, spelt needs more water than wheat flour, so I added a sip of beer: now the dough was very soft, not runny, but soft.  (I never trust printed recipes and the micro amount of yeast was mere ridiculous).

450 g spelt flour
200 ml lukewarm water
100+ ml beer, room temperature (recipe calls for 100 ml lager). I took "Beck's gold". Some call it "women" beer because there isn't that much hop involved, lacks bitterness, tastes quite mild, but it has the same amount of alcohol as beer for "men".
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (recipe calls for 1/4! teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar - organic apple cider (recipe calls for white wine vinegar)

I placed the bowl in my kitchen covered with cling film. After 16 hours: Dough shows lots of bubbles and seems to have risen.
dough in the bowl after 16 hours
The smell is a little fruity: classical sourdough. Meanwhile I drank the leftover beer and some more but this is another story.
2 hours later I placed the dough on a baking board dusted with spelt flour.
dough on the baking board - look at the bubbles
The dough has to be folded 15 times: flap one side over the other and upper side over the bottom side  - no kneading but folding. This was kind of tricky first because the dough was way too sticky and soft. I used a dough scraper to fold and sometimes just a litte more flour for dusting. After a few turns it got way easier. The dough reminds of dough for baguette, same texture and softness.
I placed the dough in the middle of a baking foil (duration baking foil, ran out of baking paper) and put it together with the foil in a bowl (of the same size as the cast iron pot for baking) and covered it by another bowl. The recipe calls for covering the dough surface with oiled cling film - I know what will happen: try to peel cling film, even oiled cling film, from sticky dough surface - this will not do... no need for this stunt.
I let dough sit for another 2 hours. First at usual room temperature what was about 19C and later on on a warm and sunny place because the dough showed no sign of rising.
After 2 hours the dough showed bigger bubbles beneath the surface.  Meanwhile I put the cast iron pot in the oven at 250C.  I placed the dough with the foil in the pot, closed it with the (hot) lid and put the pot back into the oven. Shoot... forgot to slice the dough surface with a knife but I dusted it with a little flour - too late...
After 30 minutes it smelled like freshly baked bread. I opened the lid and lowered the temperature of the heat to 220C. According recipe the bread has now to bake about 15 - 18 minutes without lid. I knocked on the bottom of the bread - sounded good and placed it on a baking wire.
The colour of the bread reminds of baguette. As I thought. But the shape is funny - the baking foil is a little stiff so the bread stayed in the folds. It almost looks like a flower (laugh). The cracks are not so pretty because I forgot to cut the surface of the dough crosswise before baking. I am not quite satisfied with the placement of the bubbles. The texture is rather firm but the crust is very crisp.

1 Kommentar:

Sissi hat gesagt…

Very impressive! I have never dared making my own bread... I like the big air holes inside.
The "beer for women" makes me always smile: my two favourite (industrial) beers are Hoegaarden (white) and Guinness...