Samstag, 13. August 2011

Popcorn with soy sauce?

Today I've learned that you can buy microwave popcorn with butter and soy sauce flavour in japan. Thinking about my beloved rice crackers it is common sense there has to be something like popcorn with soy sauce flavour but I did not know until yet.
I decided to test a soy sauce toffee coating with butter:

You need:

1 big stainless steal pot (3 l volume with lid)
popcorn (just corn seeds for popcorn not the microwave corn)
canola oil
1 big tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce (japanese)
1 small piece of seaweed, shredded

Grind the sugar to powder and stir with the soy sauce. Set aside.
Cover the bottom of the pot with oil. Fill in corn seeds - the seeds should cover the bottom but they should not lay above each other - just 1 layer of corn is plenty enough. They are going to multiply their size soon.
 Heat the pot on high heat covered with a lid until corn starts to pop. Shake the pot a little and proceed heating and shaking until the popping sounds nearly end.
Fill the popcorn in a bowl and set aside.
Heat butter in the pot add the sugar-soy sauce mixture and stir until the liquid is gone and the sugar-soy sauce melted into a thick molasses. Add seaweed and popcorn and toss popcorn in the pot without heating (pot is hot enough, don't burn the sugar)
Coating reminds me of my beloved rice crackers: great. Next time I am going to add a little bit chilli flakes.
I don't know how the japanese popcorn tastes like and wether they use sugar or not but I will prepare this snack again.














1 Kommentar:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

So, you mean you liked the soy sauce + butter combination?

The ingredients list on the package does include sugar, but I didn't find the popcorn to be sweet.