Montag, 1. August 2011

Kung-pao Chicken

This is the dish my son loves the most. He could eat it nearly everyday. Maybe he does. I am not quite sure.
Kung-pao chicken
When I was visiting him in Beijing he ordered Kung-pao chicken as one small dish (next to others) for supper every evening.  So I quite knew it in different varieties  from different restaurants. I think my recipe assembles the one we did select as best during my stay. It is very hot and spicy and you will munch on lots of sichuan pepper corns. Make sure you do like sichuan pepper or better don't give it a try.

Ingredients:
400 g chicken (breasts without skin and bones), cut in small cubes
12 scallions/green onions, white parts and light green parts cut in 1 cm slices
100 g peanuts, roasted
6 hot Chillies (dried) - more if you like a burning sensation
1 green milder Chilli (sliced)
2 tablespoons sichuan peppercorns
100 ml water
50 ml rice wine, chinese or Sake
1 tablespoon oil for frying

Marinade:
1 pinch chinese 5-spice powder
1 knob ginger, grinded
2 garlic gloves, minced
50 ml soysauce
60 ml vinegar (mild vinegar)
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon starch (corn starch or arrow root starch for a  more glossy result)

Mix ingredients for marinade and toss with meat. Let sit 30 minutes.



ckicken cubes in marinade

Heat pan and roast dried chillies and sichuan pepper in oil until they become fragant.


Add peanuts and roast a little bit longer. Fill in a bowl and set aside. Spoon chicken cubes to the hot pan and stirrfry  for 3 minutes - best to use a non stick pan because the marinade is quite sticky.  Add what is left from the marinade, water, rice wine and the peanut-spice-mix. Let cook and don't forget strirring until meat is nearly done (there will be not much sauce).  Add scallions and cook for another minute.

Enjoy with rice. And it has to be sweet and sour and spicy. For more sweetness take 3 tablespoons sugar.

1 Kommentar:

Sissi hat gesagt…

So this is the real chicken kung pao??? Looks lovely and so diffrent from what I thought... I am so ashamed of what I prepared several times and thought it was kung pao... I love sichouan pepper and the way it paralyses the tongue ;-)
I will check your recipe next time I want to cook the genuine dish! Thank you!