Samstag, 9. Juli 2011

Small mackerels

I bought a big bag of frozen pacific horse mackerels (1 kg for 3.99 Euros). So what to do? I took 4 of the bunch and tried to trim them the japanese way for aji fry: butterflied. Boning was easy but what to do with the small stingy thorns on the back? No way to cut them without destroying the "butterfly".
So I gave up the butterfly idea and cut each into two nice small fillets.
Soaked them in saltwater brine for about 1 hour, dried them with paper towels and afterwards dragged them through wheat flour, lightly beaten egg spiced up with japanese seven-spice and panko flakes.
Fried them in oil and that's all...




Delicious with sauce tatar.
Next time I will cut them open from the back...

1 Kommentar:

Sissi hat gesagt…

The mackerels look delicious! Horse mackerels are so good I feel any method of frying would make them taste great.
I also had the thorns problem when making them in tempura, but I have simply cut off most of the thorn with the scissors and have forgotten them when I tasted the tempura...