Sonntag, 31. Juli 2011

Mugicha - barley tea

In books and mangas I read so much about this japanese tea. It is a very traditional summer drink  in japan from ancient times when coca cola was unknown and the world of softdrinks a strange one. So I decided to try it. But it is impossible to buy mugicha here, maybe in japanese supermarkets in Düsseldorf (biggest japanese community in germany). Düsseldorf is only 280 km away but it is a boring city, so I don't want to spend money and time on this location for shopping only. I had to make the tea base by myself. This tea reminds me of my childhood when my grandma cooked fake coffein free coffee made from roasted malted barley, cichorium roots with lots of sugar and milk for the grandchildren only.

I bought 500 g organic barley without hulls. They did not provide smaller amounts.
(First I checked the barley field 5 min away on my jogging tour but how to get rid of hulls, too much of a hassle.)
I roasted a few tablespoons of barley in a cast iron pan for about 15 minutes on medium heat until the colour  of the grains turned to a roasted  coffee bean brown. This is quite a job. You have to stir it on and on to prevent burns.
in the pan stirring




roasted and unroasted barley


Afterwards I simmered 3 tablespoons of barley in 1 l water for 10 minutes.  I cooled the tea about 2 hours in the fridge. The result: A liquid coloured straw yellow-greenish brown. Think of something related to body fluids...
hmmm...

It did not taste anything special - ok a little bit sweet smokey-green tea-ish.  Husband decided this is something for people grown up with unsweetened light green tea only. Others said they would prefere even camomilla tea anytime before drinking this again.  Other countries other tastebuds. The birds in my garden will have to eat lots of barley grains during next winter.

And I will always love malted barley coffee with milk and sugar.

Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

I have once tasted barley tea in a Korean restaurant.It was very good, but I think I would especially enjoy it in the Winter. There was something "mealy" in it...

Lia Wright hat gesagt…

I never tastes this tea but i think i should try it once. In winter i take most of the time coffee and sometime i like to drink tea. Thanks for sharing us this nice post.
Kopi Luwak